Waterfall Wednesdays is a read-along of the book Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergren hosted by Tina's Book Reviews, Edgy Inspirational Romance, Irresistible Reads, Supernatural Snark & The Unread Reader. There still time to join us and enter a drawing to win all three books in the series just by participating, link up at Tina's Book Reviews.
Discussion Questions for Chapters 1-6
1. Waterfall opens with the introduction of Gabi, shes depressed, a little angry and is dealing with feelings of loneliness. Are you connecting with her this soon in the novel? Do you see things you like or dislike?
A. I cannot relate, I just understand. Gabi is acting like I think any teen would, she has just lost her father and is trying to allow her mother space and time to cope as well. I know the mom is going through a hard time too but it does not seem like she is in tune with her girls. At first I thought the book was starting out slow, but it is picking up now and I'm having a hard time putting it down.
2. Gabi gets to time travel back to 14th Century Italy- The Dark Ages in its prime. Is there anytime in history that fascinates you and would you travel back if you could?
A. Oh, I don't know........ I have always been fascinated by the medieval times, I love the castles, clans, their dresses and dances. I don't think I would survive, I'm too much of a modern bred girl.
3. Most of the men, including Marcello have a very set opinion about a woman's place. Gabi gets manhandled a bit in these first few chapters, and even gets asked if shes a witch. The men are shocked when Gabi rides a horse like a man and shimmies down the castle walls. What do you think of mens mentality back then? Gentlemanly, chauvinistic, simple-minded?
A. In the right circles, men definitely seemed more gentlemanly and respectful of women. I think it is just because of the way things were. Society had set rules of what they thought should be a women's place and what was acceptable. I don't think that made men simple-minded, I bet a lot were very smart because they had to think for themselves without the help of all our modern technology. If anything, women were viewed as being simple-minded and it opened their eyes to see if allowed what a woman could do.
4. When Gabi becomes a part of this era, the people are immediately intrigued but suspicious of her. Many judge her by her difference. Do you think this is fair? Have you ever been in a situation where you felt like an outsider or that others were misjudging you?
A. No, it is not fair. Everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves before being judged. I have had go to a new school, new job, new church and at each of those there have been groups of friends already established. Women can be mean! If you don't have the right clothes, house or job you're not welcome. What happen to getting to know people and looking on the inside?
5. What do think the coolest thing would be about living in the Dark Ages? What would be the worst?
A. I would love to run a castle and have someone else to cook and clean for me, where all women have to worry about are social calls and dances. But I would probably end up being the one to change the chamber pots. The worst? Arranged marriages, cruel men, no indoor plumping, meds, and other modern tech wonders. Society viewing women as just a purpose to have a son in order to carry on the family name.
A few lines that stuck out at me:
Marcello gave me a small smile and handed me a leather band. "At least bind your hair behind you," he said lowly. "It won't do for the women of the castello to see you riding through the gates, hair loose as a maid's on her wedding day. You'll never find a moment's peace. Nor shall I."
I looked up into his warm eyes, searching for a glimpse of judgment. There was none. Only warning. And a tinge of...admiration.
Gabi's thought- I finally meet a guy who's interesting, and who seems to have a half-interest in me, and it is TOTALLY the wrong time and place. I glanced up to the sky. If You're out there, God, this is COMPLETELY unfair.
There is a scene in next weeks chapters that I felt kinda goes with some of these questions. I did not know how it would go over putting it in this week so I'll just wait and point it out in the next post. :)